Welcome

I love cooking food and decorating spaces. I have spent many years learning and refining my skills for the things I am so passionate about. With my blog I want to share suggestions, tips and ideas with hopes to inspire you to become a savvy host and house proud yourself. I am passionate about anything food and home decor and have always thought that the two go hand in hand. My background is Italian and I get my inspirations for food from a family of great cooks. I love to experiment with old favorites and add my own touch to make it new, lighter and healthier. I love coming up with new dishes by just looking in the fridge and using up whatever is in there that day. Some of my best dinner parties were simple foods prepared with passion and the right ambiance and then share it with really great people . I would welcome any comments, ideas or questions.

Check out my other Blog: "Stagionista" for Staging tips and pics http://stagionista.blogspot.ca

Rose Arangio


Thursday, May 10, 2012

Drab to Fab

Recycling and giving new life and purpose to old furniture is something of a rewarding pastime for me. I was looking for a "new" dining room table so I put the word out to family and friends that if they knew anyone selling a French Provincial Style table that I would be interested. One day my mom called from up north where she lives claiming she had seen a table thrown for garbage at the end of someones driveway and if I wanted it to come and get it. I jumped at the chance and went to get it. It was in pretty bad shape bit I took it anyways because it had the sexy shape I was looking for and I knew with a little TLC it would be a star once again.

I had my son do all the sanding because he likes doing that kind of stuff lucky me and he really did a great job sanding right down to the bare wood removing all the old dilapidated finish and making as soft as a babies bum. The top was totally ruined so I had other plans for that. After days of sanding and filling gaps I cleaned and primed the entire thing (even the bottom) then applied 4 coats of a glossy black paint to give it a shiny black piano finish. For the top I reused the smoked glass I had on my old previous table it just happened to be the right size lucky me, again.
The smoky glass covered the fact that the wood laminate was missing. I would have purchase a sheet of oak or pine if I didn't have the glass but I saved that money.

Well it only cost time, sweat and about $10 in paint. I think it looks great and I feel like I saved its life and gave it a new family to live with.


Finished Table


Sanding

Primed


Ready to receive guests for dinner OR....


I use it as my office during the day. Double function room.

No comments: