Welcome

I love cooking food and decorating spaces. I have spent many years learning and refining my skills for the things I am so passionate about. With my blog I want to share suggestions, tips and ideas with hopes to inspire you to become a savvy host and house proud yourself. I am passionate about anything food and home decor and have always thought that the two go hand in hand. My background is Italian and I get my inspirations for food from a family of great cooks. I love to experiment with old favorites and add my own touch to make it new, lighter and healthier. I love coming up with new dishes by just looking in the fridge and using up whatever is in there that day. Some of my best dinner parties were simple foods prepared with passion and the right ambiance and then share it with really great people . I would welcome any comments, ideas or questions.

Check out my other Blog: "Stagionista" for Staging tips and pics http://stagionista.blogspot.ca

Rose Arangio


Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Eggplant Supreme






There is no question about my love for eggplants. Eggplant is the meat of all vegetables and although I am not a vegetarian I often replace my meat intake with this lovely vegetable. Baked, fried, sauteed, breaded, floured or naked this lovely dark purple creature is an amazing versatile flavor sucking sponge and is adaptable to so many recipes.

Today was one of those grey rainy days and I wanted some healthy comfort food so I came up with this recipe along with a bowl of home made chicken soup made from some left over roasted chicken I had.


Ingredients:

1 Eggplant, sliced thick and peeled in stripes leaving some skin
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 red pepper, small cubed
2 zucchini, small cubed
5 mushrooms, small cubed
2 big handfuls of baby spinach, washed,dried and chopped
1/2 cup of crumbled Greek Feta cheese
parsley, finely chopped
EVOO
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of marinara sauce, optional you can use a good quality store bought ready made like Marinellis

Directions:

-oven temp 400

-placed eggplant on lightly greased tray and season to taste and put in oven for about 15 minutes then turn and bake about 10 min.

-meanwhile eggplant is baking heat a saute pan add about 2 turns of olive oil, add onions and garlic and cook until translucent.

-add the rest of vegetables except for spinach and cook on medium low heat for about 15 minutes. Add spinach the last minute.

Assembly time:

-remove eggplant from oven when cooked and keep on baking sheet, first layer half of the crumbled feta then a heaping spoonful of the veggie mix and rest of the feta. Top with 1-2 tbsp of Marinara and back in oven to heat through about 10 minutes.

-Remove from oven top with parsley and serve.

This is one of those healthy,delicious and easy to make 30 minute meals.




No comments: